STERILE PROCESSING TECH, NON-CERTIFIEDJob ID 188148 Date Posted 06/07/2022
General Description of the Job Class
A Central Sterile Processing Technician, Non-Certified is responsible for cleaning, decontamination, assembly, and high-level disinfection of all reusable medical instrumentation. Maintains high standards consistency and continuous product flow between the OR and Sterile Processing. Responsible for maintaining adequate supply levels in sterile storage area, rotating stock as appropriate pulling case carts for the daily surgical schedule.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Cleans, decontaminates, assembles, and disinfects scope trays and equipment following established tray lists and manufacture's recommendations.
- Maintains communication with customers and departments regarding requests and delivery of sterile supplies.
- Promotes best practice by demonstrating a commitment to quality patient care.
- Performs assigned duties to maintain unit in a state of survey readiness and maintain quality initiatives. For example quality control measures, emergency equipment checks, and department cleanliness.
- Uses the computerized instrument tracking system in the performance of assigned duties, obtaining instrument count sheets, obtaining special handling instructions for instrumentation documenting sterilization loads, and other assigned tasks.
- Adheres to unit programs to support patient care such as maintaining a quiet environment and customer service.
- Efficient and punctual distribution of case carts, equipment, and stat supplies to the OR and Maintain sterility and or cleanliness according to hospital protocol.
- Maintain accurate log for equipment out for repair.
- Tests operational efficiency of Instrumentation prior to reprocessing and reports problems to appropriate leadership.
- Maintains a clean and orderly central processing area (e.g. shelves, counters, equipment)
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Required Qualifications at this Level
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Employees hired before 2/18/19 are not required to have high school diploma or equivalent.
Previous experience working in a healthcare environment preferred.
Working knowledge of computer required. Knowledge of surgical instrumentation and care/cleaning strongly preferred; knowledge of sterile techniques preferred.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
Certification in Sterile Processing and/or Technology required within 2 years of hire date -CSPDT (CBSPD) or CRCST (IAHCSMM).
Employees hired before 2/18/2019 are not required to obtain certification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
"Nourishing our community and building a healthy community is part of our vision as an organization and that is absolutely supported in our day-to-day."Lisa, Assistant Director of Nutritional Services
"Duke Raleigh Hospital is a really tight-knit work family. We check on each other when we’re not here, we do things outside of work. It’s an extension of my family."Ashley, Respiratory Therapist
"I enjoy the generous PTO package."Lillian, Environmental Services