RESPIRATORY CARE PRACTITIONER - DUKE RALEIGH HOSPITAL - NIGHTSJob ID 178603 Date Posted 02/22/2022
Duke Raleigh Hospital offers the latest in care and technology in a patient-friendly setting. It has been an important part of Duke Health since 1998 and has served Wake County for more than 35 years, employing more than 2,000 team members. The hospital provides 186 inpatient beds and a comprehensive array of services, including the Duke Raleigh Cancer Center, Duke Raleigh Orthopedic and Spine Center, cardiovascular services, neurosciences including the Duke Raleigh Skull Base and Cerebrovascular Center, advanced digestive care, disease management and prevention, wound healing, outpatient imaging, intensive and progressive care, pain clinic, same-day surgery, emergency department and community outreach and education programs.
U.S. News & World Report ranked Duke Raleigh Hospital as high performing inorthopedicss and five adult procedures/conditions: chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), heart failure, kidney failure, lung cancer surgery, and stroke.
Job Title: Respiratory Care Practitioner
Shift: Nights 7p-7a
36 hours week
Job Code: 4140
Job Level: E1
Revised Date: 03/06/2018
Supervisory Responsibility: No
Duke Raleigh Hospital is looking for Respiratory Care Practitioners to join our team. Duke employees are part of a premier organization dedicated to excellence in education, research, and patient care. This is a full time position. Duke Raleigh Hospital is in Raleigh, NC, centrally located between the beaches and mountains.
Over 100 free CEU’s offered onsite each year including ventilation and airway management, pulmonary disease management, patient / family education and high-frequency ventilation symposium.
General Description of the Job Class
Perform diagnostic and therapeutic clinical procedures as defined in the Respiratory Care Services scope of clinical practice. Work performed in accordance with physician orders. Defined duties are performed working strictly with adult populations or working only with neonatal, pediatric populations.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Verify physician orders for appropriateness and accuracy.
- Understand pharmacological indications, dosages and response to adverse drug reactions.
- Consults with providers based on patient care assessments and in accordance to accepted protocols. Provides education to patients, families, physicians, nursing and other members of the health care team.
- Monitors response to all therapy. Documents in the patient medical record. Communicates all pertinent clinical information during patient rounds and handoff.
- Perform diagnostic cardiopulmonary procedures; inclusive of nasotracheal and artificial airway suctioning and samples, arterial blood gas punctures, pulse oximetry and EtCO2 monitoring, pulmonary function and bedside pulmonary mechanics, and EKG’s.
- Recognizes life threatening situations and initiates appropriate response, perform CPR and bag- mask ventilation
- Safe transport of critical patients within the hospital.
- Assure correct set-up, safety and function of all equipment/ supplies necessary in the provision of patient care. Inclusive of all mechanical ventilators, NIV devices and hi-flow oxygen devices.
- Assure adherence to all infectious disease standards in the delivery of all patient care procedures.
- Participates in quality improvement activities.
- Maintains all necessary safety and life support certifications per required increment
Required Qualifications at this Level
Completion of a 2 year AMA approved respiratory care program (Associates Degree or the equivalent) and is registry eligible. Successful completion of the registry exam (RRT) is required prior to employment.
None required beyond clinical affiliation of the respiratory program
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
North Carolina State Licensure. Certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) and any other certifications applicable to the institution.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge necessary to make appropriate clinical decisions and interactions relative to the specific age of a patient.
- Skills validation/certifications of competencies for the duties and responsibilities of this level.
- Must maintain annual skill requirements
- Must maintain annual safety/compliance requirements
- Must maintain North Carolina annual license requirements for CEU's Customer service and communication expertise.
- Work involves contact with patients of all ages, family members, physicians, nursing, and all other members of the health care team.
- Work is performed in all areas of Duke Hospital
- Work may require lifting or pushing in excess of 30 pounds.
- Work requires walking, climbing and bending.
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.Job Code: 00004140 RESPIRATORY CARE PRACTITIONER
Job Level: E2
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobsat Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
"Nourishing our community and building a healthy community is part of our vision as an organization and that is absolutely supported in our day-to-day."Lisa, Assistant Director of Nutritional Services
"Duke Raleigh Hospital is a really tight-knit work family. We check on each other when we’re not here, we do things outside of work. It’s an extension of my family."Ashley, Respiratory Therapist
"I enjoy the generous PTO package."Lillian, Environmental Services