RESPIRATORY CARE PRACTITIONER, ADV (NIGHTS 7P-7A) DUKE RALEIGH HOSPITAL *ANCHOR*Job ID 150428 Date Posted 10/29/2021
Duke Raleigh Hospital offers the latest in care and technology in a patient-friendly setting. It has been an important part of Duke Health since 1998 and has served Wake County for more than 35 years, employing more than 2,000 team members. The hospital provides 186 inpatient beds and a comprehensive array of services, including the Duke Raleigh Cancer Center, Duke Raleigh Orthopedic and Spine Center, cardiovascular services, neurosciences including the Duke Raleigh Skull Base and Cerebrovascular Center, advanced digestive care, disease management and prevention, wound healing, outpatient imaging, intensive and progressive care, pain clinic, same-day surgery, emergency department and community outreach and education programs
U.S. News & World Report ranked Duke Raleigh Hospital as high performing in orthopaedics and two adult procedures/conditions: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and lung cancer surgery. #DukeRaleighJobs
Job Title: RESPIRATORY CARE PRACTITIONER, Advanced
RESPIRATORY CARE PRACTITIONER, Advanced Neonatal/Pediatric
Shift: Days 7a-7p or Nights 7p-7a
36 hours week
Job Code: 4250
Job Level: F1 (August 2019)
Revised Date: 03/06/2018
Supervisory Responsibility: No
Duke Raleigh Hospital is looking for Respiratory Care Practitioners to join our team. Duke employees are part of a premier organization dedicated to excellence in education, research, and patient care. This is a full-time position. Duke Raleigh is in Raleigh, NC, centrally located between the beaches and mountains.
Sign-On Bonus: $15,000
Relocation allowance offered for out-of-state candidates and for eligible in-state candidates living outside of a mileage radius (75 miles) of Duke University Hospital.
Over 100 free CEU’s offered onsite each year including ventilation and airway management, pulmonary disease management, patient / family education and high-frequency ventilation symposium.
General Description of the Job Class
Perform diagnostic and therapeutic clinical procedures as defined in the Respiratory Care Services scope of clinical practice. Work performed in accordance with physician orders. Defined duties are performed working strictly with adult populations or working only with neonatal, pediatric populations, but not with both.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Perform all duties and responsibilities required of a Respiratory Care Practitioner.
- Evaluate appropriateness of medical orders.
- Proficient in the application of mechanical ventilator modalities.
- Proficient in the application of Non-Invasive Positive Pressure Ventilation (NPPV); Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) and Bi-Level Positive Airway Pressure (BiPAP)
- Perform endotracheal intubation under the observation of a Clinical Team Lead.
- Perform extubations.
- Serve as member of the code/ emergency team. Administer medical gases. Insert nasogastric and orogastric tubes.
- Perform tracheotomy tube changes.
- Perform capnography monitoring. Transport patients requiring mechanical ventilation or airway protection.
- Interpret clinical data to optimize patient clinical objectives.
- Participate in clinical rounds with physicians, nurses and other health care providers
- Assist with Bronchoscopy.
- Assist with orientation and training of Resp. Care Practitioner.
- Assure safe operations of devices in the MRI.
- Qualified for certification in the hyperbaric chamber if applicable to the institution scope of practice
Required Qualifications at this Level
- Completion of a 2 year AMA approved respiratory care program (Associates Degree or the equivalent) and North Carolina State Licensure and Registry (RRT) by the National Association for Respiratory Care (NBRC).
- Must maintain annual skill maintenance requirements
- Must maintain annual safety/compliance requirements
- Must maintain North Carolina annual license requirements for CEUs
Level I Trauma - ICU experience strongly preferred
Minimum six months clinical experience following graduation from an AMA approved respiratory care program.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
North Carolina State Licensure and Registry (RRT) by the National Association for Respiratory Care (NBRC).
Certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
Pediatric RCP’s need your NRP, PALS and ACLS within 90 days of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge necessary to make appropriate clinical decisions and interaction relative to the specific age of a patient.
- Skills validation/certification of competencies for the duties and responsibilities required for a Respiratory Care Practitioner.
- Skills validation / certifications of competencies for the duties and responsibilities of this level.
- Work involves contact with patients of all ages, family members, physicians, nursing, and all other members of the health care team.
- Work is performed in all areas of the hospital.
- Work may require lifting or pushing in excess of 30 pounds.
- Required to carry emergency airway bag weighing approximately 20 pounds.
- Work requires walking, running, climbing and bending. Customer service and communication expertise
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Job Code: 4250
Job Title: RESPIRATORY CARE PRACTITIONER, Advanced
Job Level: F1
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
"Nourishing our community and building a healthy community is part of our vision as an organization and that is absolutely supported in our day-to-day."Lisa, Assistant Director of Nutritional Services
"Duke Raleigh Hospital is a really tight-knit work family. We check on each other when we’re not here, we do things outside of work. It’s an extension of my family."Ashley, Respiratory Therapist
"I enjoy the generous PTO package."Lillian, Environmental Services